Saturday, October 19, 2013

Who would've thought I'd be back in Ghana so soon!

When I left last time I didn't think I'd ever want to go back, but I had
a great time! I got to see some of the same things as last time when I
went with Bentley and some new sites. This was a port where we had the
option to overland so I did. It was me and four other kids. The first
day we got to Ghana it was a holiday that involved slaughtering of
goats. Brian and Wiley had the pleasure to witness this in the morning
on the side of the road. They made friends that invited us over to eat
with their entire family (see the picture with about 20 Africans plus
the three of us lol). Everyone here is really nice and welcoming, and I
actually noticed an improvement in the pollution/ garbage issue in some
of the places that I had been to a year and half ago. After spending
some time with the locals in Takoradi we hoped on a tro tro (A super
crowded and ridiculously hot form of public transportation) about an
hour or so away to Cape Coast which is another region. We explored
around there and then stayed at a place called Hans Cottage a little
closer to Kakum National Park. Little did Brian and I know, but we had
been there to see crocodiles on our last trip!

The next morning we went to Kakum National Park and did the canopy tour
and hike which is 7 rope bridges that go over the canopy of the
protected rain forest there. It was definitely cool to do that again!
From there we explored Cape Coast a little more (Got some really cool
headbands made by a local!) then took a SUPER BUMPY bus to Accra which
is where the boat moved to. It was pretty late when we got here (Get's
dark at like 6 PM!) so we went around to a few hotels looking for a good
price and trying to bargain. We finally ended up at the this place
called the Blue Royal. We weren't in the hotel room for more than 10
minutes and this girl Callee (also from Bentley) was in the shower and
all of a sudden we heard this huge smash. I ran in to find her wrapped
up in the shower curtain that had feel and the sink completely shattered
off the wall. Clearly it was not on the wall very well... poor
construction like a lot of other things in Ghana... because all it took
was her leaning in to look at the mirror to smash it. She cut her hand
open but was fine. We were dying laughing. We told them the next morning
and they were more concerned about her cutting her hand. They said we
could just leave, but I think the language barrier made it so they
didn't quite understand exactly how broken the sink was. Would've loved
to see their faces when they actually went up to the room. Never a dull
moment in port!

We did some shopping at the big arts center that day before taking the
shuttle back to the boat. I had to be back at midnight because I had a
field program to a market the next morning for my Anthropology of Food
class (See pics of dried fish and peppers). It was definitely cool to be
back in such a different place. We interacted a lot with local which is
always the best part of visiting any country! I had a lot of fun, but
I'm definitely ready for a new part of Africa... Cape Town, South
Africa. Have lots of cool things planned there like shark cage diving
and a safari (Thanks Bruce and Gram!) Talk to all in 8 days or so when
we get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment