Sunday, October 6, 2013

First stop in Africa... Morocco!

Morocco was awesome! We arrived on Thursday to the port in Casablanca
and I took a train pretty much right away to Marrakech with my friends
Kelsey, Brian and Jeff. Kelsey had a family friend, Majdouline, who
managed a riad there (like a hotel) so she got us a place to stay. Ours
was called Riad Mariela and it was right around the corner from the one
she managed. They are a traditional Moroccon hotels with no windows on
the outside. Instead, all the rooms open up to the middle where there is
a courtyard area and rooftop terrace. My picture doesn't really do it
justice... Google image search some! Majdouline was so wonderful! She
had us over for a full, fancy Moroccan dinner one of the nights and
breakfast the next morning and had a woman come to the riad to do henna
for Kelsey and I. We spent a lot of time walking around the Medina which
is a huge outdoor market area with all the souks and snake charmers and
stuff! On the second afternoon we went on a half day camel trek that was
hillarious. We got these traditional outfits and everything. The food
here was pretty good (tajine and couscous) and the mint tea was delish!
I bought Moroccan argon oil to bring back for us all to try! We got back
to the Casablanca from the Marrakech excursion last night. Today I went
to the Dar Lamima orphanage with Semester at Sea. We got a tour and were
able to play with the little kids! I really enjoyed it.. I'm doing
another orphanage visit in South Africa.

Getting to Ghana on the 15th! I'll post again after that!

PS- The last picture is my name written in Arabic. We met some people on
the train ride to Marrakech that showed us all our names!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment